Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Girls in Contact Sports (9/24/09 class)


The controversial issue of girls participating in contact sports has existed before the legislation of Title IX. The video shown in class regarding Holly Mangold's position on a men's high school football team has undoubtedly raised a few eyebrows. Being a female, I think females should be given the opportunity to participate in a male contact sport if there is not a female team for that sport (i.e. football, hockey). However, I doubt I would take advantage of Title IX's regulation because I would not want the negative attention that results from these behaviors. Throughout high school, I was the football teams stat and water girl. I loved being on the sideline and I still consider myself to be "one of the guys." Although I feel like I fit in amazingly with my male friends, I would never want to be on the same team as them. Personally, it isn't worth the public ridicule. For determined athletes like Holly Mangold, the desire to play football made her decision to play on a the men's team a necessary one. I do not share the same desires as her so I will gladly stick to the sports I know how to play best.

The bystanders between males and females is very disappointing. In 2009, we still do not live in an equalized society. I am offended by the notion that girls cannot "handle" a contact sport meant for males. We (females) are counted out before we even get a chance to participate! What does that do to our self esteem and confidence? Nothing. It actually cripples us as human beings because those stereotypes go beyond the athletic field and into our daily lives both professionally and personally. Males are very dominate and athletic. In many cases, they can do more physically than a female can. Is this a result of being socialized since birth? It's quite possible. Once we have the idea in our heads that males and females are very different people, that perception stays with us throughout our childhood and into our adulthood.

The YouTube video of Holly Mangold was refreshing because the typical stereotypes did not seem to affect her. She is a strong young woman that takes alot of slack from the general public. Because of that, I have a great deal of respect for her. The perception that money is the root of the problem regarding males/females in athletics is a reasonable argument. After all, many issues are a result of money. Because the NCAA is emphasized on a more competitive model (males), the governing bodies tend to lean in their favor. I am not a feminist. I am a fan of more male sports teams than female sports teams. I want to work for the NFL after graduation. However, I believe in equality for EVERYONE...not just the female race. I hope that Title IX can change and focus more on equal opportunities for both males and females because when I am a mother, I want my children to be given equal rights because it's the right thing to do, not because it's what the law states.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot to respond to in this entry. Most of all, I agree with you that the You Tube clip of Holly Mangold was refreshing. Like you, I could not relate to her wanting to play football, but I imagine if I had an older brother like Nick Mangold, I might have wanted to do that (and if I were a lot bigger!). I also think that girls as a whole probably feel the residual effect of being told repeatedly that we are not able to do things. That is why I am always encouraged to see examples like Holly Mangold--and before her, Billie Jean King.

    ReplyDelete