Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wrestling with Masculinity

I have seen an entirely different side of the WWE after reading this article. Clearly, I have been socialized because the issue of "manhood" never occurred to me after years of being susceptible to this form of entertaining behavior. This study highlights particular moments in wrestling that proved Soulliere's position throughout "Wrestling with Masculinity: Messages about Manhood in the WWE." I never watched wrestling as I was growing up because as a female (another gender stereotype) I did not have an interest in such a violent all male "sport." I enjoy the way Soulliere separated her article into messages of manhood. Reflecting to my youth, I realize now that these messages have been clear all along. I never considered them to be incorrect or unreasonable.

Since college, I have been a huge fan of Hulk Hogan. However, I do not like him because of his infamous wrestling career in the WWE. His reality show, "Hogan Knows Best" on VH1 was an overnight success. Gradually, I watched the real Hulk (Terry Bollea) unfold before my eyes. He is very much a family man and overprotective father. He lectures his children about finances and dating while arguing with his ex-wife Linda about money. I never see him as the wrestler. He seems manly to me, but in a much different way that does not revolve around violence or winning and losing. I'm sharing this information because Hulk Hogan is a prime example of the issues Soulliere discusses. However, wrestling was just a job for him and he was putting on a show that was expected from the fans. Do wrestlers buy into the things they say and do? Do they practice what they preach? Based on his reality show, Terry Bollea does not practice the morals or believe in the actions he performed fight after fight as a WWE wrestler.

I am disturbed by most of the messages Soulliere found after studying over 100 WWE fights. Although some are universal (i.e. men take responsibility for their actions), most of them would not make a man successful in the real world. These messages would only gain them more enemies. The WWE portrays men as being incredibly muscular, mean-spirited, out for revenge, evil, violent, foul-mouthed and bloody. In today's society, many boys and men still resort to violence to prove their manhood and take to weights in order to physically and silently represent their manhood. Soulliere makes a point about men proving manhood by writing "Finally, it is certainly clear that men are expected to settle things physically when Commissioner William Regal tells Booker T and Rov Van Dam: "If you want to settle your differences, settle them like sportsmen in the ring tonight" (Soulliere, 2006, p.5). This mentality makes society think that being violent and aggressive is socially acceptable.

In closing, this article is a perfect example of what is wrong with stereotypes and celebrity. These men and women influence so many youth on a drastic level. In relation to our class discussion, I do not disagree that Serena Williams was too aggressive when threatening the line judge. However, because she is famous and because society is socialized into thinking these actions are normal, people overlook such profane actions. Because of shows like the WWE, athletes can get away with verbal and physical abuse with a simple smack on the hand. What happened to the Golden Rule and manners? Entertainment has changed the way children, teens and adults face the world. If the WWE is any indication of how men will display their emotions, I'll choose my friends much more wisely than I did before.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent reflection on the article by Soulliere. In talking about this topic in class, I wondered how many people had watched the WWE or its predecessor, the WWF. It amazes me that people who watched it did not notice some of the blatant stereotypes that were used--especially with regard to women. I do agree with you that "Entertainment has changed the way children, teens and adults face the world." Thanks for sharing your observations and insights.

    ReplyDelete