Friday, October 2, 2009

2009 Homecoming Symposium




I had an amazing experience during today's homecoming symposium. The BGSU graduates were terrific speakers and I learned a lot from their personal experiences. I appreciate the men taking the time to visit their Alma mater and give us (college students) a taste of a reality that is different from our daily class routines. I had the opportunity to interview with two different gentleman: Dan Jones, VP of Events for Intersport and Bob Gearhart, Sales Consultant for the Lake Erie Monsters. These interviews made my passion for the sport industry even more intense. I hope to intern with one of these organizations next semester. Although my interviews seemed to be successful, the biggest lesson I am taking from today came from Mr. Jones's speech during the 1:30 session titled "4 Questions You Can't Live Without."

These questions are as follows:

1. Are you passionate about it?
2. Can you be absolutely great at it?
3. Will it achieve your financial goals?
4. Can you be proud of it?

Mr. Jones explained that in every aspect of our lives, we should ask ourselves these questions prior to taking on a task or job. He persuaded us to compare these questions to daily life and unless all 4 questions are answered "YES!" then DO NOT partake in the activity or job! Life is too short and many opportunities will pass by if we do not ask ourselves these questions. Time is too precious to be wasted on something that cannot fulfill these 4 duties.

As I ponder these questions, I can relate them to my major: Sports Marketing. 1. I am VERY passionate about my field and I am very anxious to graduate and gain real world experience. 2. I will be great at my job because of my passion and because of the knowledge and experience I have accumulated over the 4 years at BGSU. 3. Sports Marketing will achieve my financial goals in one form or another. Student loans will quickly arrive, as will a rent or mortgage payment. However, I will sacrifice my personal wants in order to work in an industry I love so dearly. 4. I can be proud of my career focus and personal goal to be a Sports Marketer because consumers of sport are cult-like and live and breathe for athletics. People need sports as an outlet or hobby. My job will be important because it affects a large chunk of the population. I am already proud of myself thus far and I know I am just beginning this journey called life.

Most of today's speeches dealt with gaining experience and networking. I was already aware of these two crucial ways to help get a job but having the concepts pounded into my head was exactly what I needed to get motivated prior to graduation. Today was so fun and I am grateful to have been a part of it and learn from my peers.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that the Homecoming Symposium offered such positive reinforcement for you (and hopefully others). The things you wrote in this entry could provide a great start for your cover letter when you apply for future jobs. Thanks for sharing what you learned from the sessions!

    ReplyDelete