Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Final Thoughts

Wow, SM 4250 has changed the way I think about sports and has made me appreciate my life in a whole new way. The issues we discussed in class were, in a nutshell, crazy! I enjoyed the controversial topics (i.e. females in males sports, Title IX, discrimination) and listening to my classmates' opinions. I sometimes dread classes that attempt to break the mold and discuss certain topics but I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Spencer's enthusiasm to introduce us to new ways of thinking.

As students, we can learn alot from reading scholarly articles and watching documentaries on real-life situations. Because I want to have a career in sports, considering the various issues in racism, disabilities, transgender, etc. will make me a better employee because of my knowledge in a variety of topics I might face in the future. I enjoyed SM 4250 and creating this blog because it is unlike any other class I have taken here at BGSU. I was given a creative format to discuss my thoughts and many opportunities to voice my opinions in class. I did not feel embarrassed or disrespected when talking about my beliefs with others.

As I anticipate graduation in May, I am reminded of how fortunate I am to be a healthy, happy and well educated human being. I have an incredible support system around me and I have distinct goals set for myself. I am blessed to live without any form of disability and I am not subjected to any extreme form of discrimination. I was given a positive athletic experience in high school and was able to fulfill my dreams on and off the court.

The topics we discussed in class were unique and at times, sad. The individuals we talked about had experienced major obstacles in their lives and for some, had lived through hell. The positive stories made up for all of the negative reflections. I was touched by the "Living with Disabilities" class and Holly Mangold's quest to play football. These individuals are so brave and show true courage. It is unfortunate that so many athletes have to deal with negative press and public judgement. After hearing all of Dr. Spencer's lectures, one thing is certain: life is not easy and sports can be very complicated. I appreciate her willingness to face the various topics and giving us a chance to react. I plan to keep this blog as a form of expression and an opportunity to stay connected to other opinions and blogs. I enjoy sharing my thoughts with those interested in reading them.

Finally, it's nearing the end of the semester and Christmas is just around the corner. I hope everyone has a wonderful break and to those graduating, congrats!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful final reflection on your experience of doing the blog for class! Thanks for sharing all that you did about the topics that touched you, or made you sad, or even made you think differently. I really enjoyed your class, and so many of the discussions we had. I can honestly say that I have learned a lot from students this semester as well. I am especially glad that you plan to continue to write blog entries and I will be sure to check them out when I can. Hope the end of your semester goes well, and you have a nice Christmas break, too!

    ReplyDelete